Consulting Services: ENGAGE AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO UNDERTAKE EDITORIAL SERVICES FOR THE FARA SECRETARIAT
Name of project: FARA Multi-Donor Trust Fund (FARA-MDTF)
Grant No: FARA-MDTF TF095129
Project ID No.: P112684
Assignment Ref. No.: LUMPED EDITING, LAYOUT, WEBPOSTING AND E-PUBLICATION 2017
DATE: MARCH 01, 2017
FARA is the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa, an umbrella organization bringing together and forming coalitions of major stakeholders in agricultural research and development in Africa.
FARA complements the innovative activities of national, international and sub-regional research institutions to deliver more responsive and effective services to its stakeholders. It plays advocacy and coordination roles for agricultural research for development, while the national agricultural research systems (NARS), advanced research institutions (ARIs) and international agricultural research centres (IARCs) develop and promote the adoption of improved technologies and policies along the research-to-development continuum in their respective countries and jurisdictions. FARA intends to apply part of the proceeds for the following consultancy services:
TO ENGAGE A CONSULTANT TO UNDERTAKE EDITORIAL SERVICES FOR THE SECRETARIAT
FARA seeks a competent and experienced individual consultant to provide editorial services under a time-based contract agreement.
B. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The objective of this assignment is to ensure that FARA publications are prepared for printing in a timely fashion, and that they adhere to house style and professional business English.
C. SCOPE OF WORK
Specifically, the consultant will undertake the following tasks.
- Provide extensive editing and proofreading for FARA official documents which amongst others include annual reports, annual work plans and budgets, research reports, media releases and news articles, technical papers advertisements, brochures and flyers.
- Edit and proofread material and be capable of adjusting writing style for various targeted audience;
- Provide recommendations for improving presentation of information.
The editorial work shall adhere to the following levels:
- Substantive editing. The Editor must understand the importance of the document and work to ensure that the intent of the author(s) is not distorted. Substantive editing involves considerable rewriting, rearrangement of text, reworking figures and tables and checking all citations and bibliographic references.
- Copy editing. This level is far less demanding but nonetheless very important. The editor must ensure that FARA house style is adhered to, that all technical names are correct, and that the material presented is politically neutral. Punctuation, capitalization and the general appearance of the document must be consistent and correct. All references must be thoroughly checked.
- Proofreading. This is the last stage of editing. The editor reads through the entire document, checking for consistency and accuracy. Of particular importance are the table of contents and the list of acronyms.
D. OUTPUTS OR DELIVERABLES
The following outputs are expected:
- The consultant will produce the edited, typed set, final Annual Report in PDF, ready for printing.
- The Consultant will provide both high resolution and low resolution copies.
E. DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The duration of this assignment will be for one year.
F. LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be carried out at the home office of the consultant and outputs submitted to FARA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana.
G. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
The Consultant is expected to undertake the services with the highest standards of professional and ethical competence and integrity. The Consultant should be able to deliver the listed assignments in a most effective and efficient manner, within the period of assignment stated in Section E.
The Consultant shall report to the Director, Corporate Partnership & Communications.
I. FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY FARA
FARA will provide information on the following:
- Reports from the various Programmes and Units
- Guidance on the expected outputs
- Required pictures and illustrations
J. SHORTLISTING CRITERIA:
The short-listing criteria are:
- Qualification of Individual Consultant and number of years in business;
- Consultant’s experience in similar assignment;
- Consultant’s experience in working in similar environment.
The Editor should have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of Master’s degree in English, journalism, agriculture, international development, or related areas;
- Proven writing skills and at least 5 years’ experience in providing editorial services for similar assignments;
- A good understanding and knowledge of the African Agricultural Research for Development sector.
The attention of interested consultants is drawn to Paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers – January 2011, Revised July 2014 setting forth the World Bank’s Policy on conflict of interest.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours between 0930 and 1600 GMT.
Expressions of interest must be delivered to the address below on or before March 16, 2017
Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo,
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)
PMB CT 173, Cantonment-Accra, Ghana
Individual Consultant are advised to quote the Assignment Reference Number in the application.
12th Feb, 2018Cotonou 10th February, 2018: On February 8 to 9, 2018, about sixty participants from thirteen African countries, Peru, Poland, and Germany gathered together to discuss the research results reached during the first phase (2015 - 2017) of the programme of Accompanying Research for Agricultural Innovation (PARI)
26th Jan, 2018ACCRA, 26th January, 2018: The Oyo State Government of Nigeria had a working visit to the FARA Secretariat 25-26 January 2018. The High-Level delegation was led by the Honorable Commissioner for Agriculture