The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is an umbrella organization bringing together and forming coalitions of major stakeholders in agricultural research and development in Africa. FARA complements the innovative activities of national, international and sub-regional research institutions to deliver more responsive and effective services to its stakeholders. It plays advocacy and coordination roles for agricultural research for development, while the national agricultural research systems (NARS), advanced research institutions (ARIs) and international agricultural research centres (IARCs) develop and promote the adoption of improved technologies and policies along the research-to-development continuum in their respective countries and jurisdictions. Since it was established in 2002 FARA has been able to develop several African-wide initiatives through consultation with stakeholders.
FARA is seeking to engage a Gender, Youth and Agribusiness Consultant to work closely with its core programmes in implementing its MTOP2R
To formulate policy, implement programmes, research and training modules to promote and strengthen the inclusion and mainstreaming of gender, youth and broader social development issues in Agricultural research and development programmes and projects by FARA
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Director, Research and Innovation, the successful candidate shall perform inter-alia the following key duties but not limited to:
- Facilitates the effective integration of gender and broader social development dimensions in FARA core programs, including (i) gender equity and equality, (ii) benefit sharing, (iii) social safeguards, (iv) grievance redress mechanisms with a focus on women, youth and other marginalized groups, and (v) social accountability including good governance.
- Develops and refine responsive policy elements and inputs for FARA management to consider incorporating in ongoing and planned programs.
- Provides up-to-date strategic and technical advice to strengthen the capacity of FARA Secretariat and constituents.
- Assist FARA to design, implement and monitor agricultural research and development programmes and projects with strong gender, youth and social development dimensions; and contribute to gender and social analysis of data and reporting on impact of interventions on target beneficiaries.
- Provides techniques, institutional and operational policy guidelines in strengthening FARA’s Gender policy and strategy and action plan and facilitate its effective integration in the MTOP.
- Coordinates the activities of the FARA-YPARD Africa Chapter initiative.
- Guides FARA and its partners to formulate gender responsive policies and programmes to enhance gender equality mainstreaming in agricultural research.
- Provides gender and social analysis and advice to inform planning, appraisals and reviews across FARA programs and projects.
- Provides guidelines for the analysis of gender desegregated data to inform programmes.
- Develops in partnership with stakeholders, toolkits, guidelines and programmes, related to gender, youth and social development related to agricultural research and development.
- Facilitates cross-regional exchange of knowledge and documentation of field-tested gender, youth and social development approaches with potential for scaling, amplifying and transferring success.
- Identifies and builds strategic partnerships, including collaboration with knowledge networks, communities of practice, SROs and relevant development partners, for purposes of knowledge generation and sharing, joint advocacy and resource mobilization.
- Supports FARA and its partners to formulate gender responsive policies and interventions to enhance gender equality mainstreaming in agricultural research.
- Represents FARA’s interests at continental and international fora in relation to gender, youth and social development as related to agriculture and serve as FARA’s contact point and partner with social and gender policy experts and practitioners in Africa and internationally, thereby building a network for addressing issues of continental priority in relation to gender, youth and social development.
- Writes proposals for securing funds for gender and youth activities.
- Provides techniques, institutional and operational policy guidelines on agribusiness, youth and gender related issues in agricultural research and innovation
- Contribute to Agribusiness initiatives and programs
- Performs any other duties as will be assigned by the Director, Research and Innovation and FARA Management.
Masters degree in gender and development studies or allied social science discipline. Certificate or training in Agribusiness will be an added advantage. The candidate must:
- Have experience in applied and participatory research
- Have experience in the design and development of training modules and tool kits.
- Be able to handle diversity issues.
- Be able to develop policies.
- Be able to develop programmes and other interventions for FARA and partners on gender, youth and social development
- Have knowledge of African and global agriculture and Agribusiness issues.
The successful candidate shall be remunerated on lump sum basis
The successful candidate shall be based at the FARA Secretariat in Accra with occasional overseas travel.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a cover letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana. Email: email@example.com. Applications will be assessed against the required skills, experience and aptitudes set out above. Applications will be accepted up to 28th August 2017.
Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
NB: Please quote in your application the reference code of the vacancy for which you are applying.
24th May, 2018ACCRA, 23rd May 2018: THE Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) will collaborate with the African Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation (AOSTI)