The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa
LEAD SPECIALIST, TAAT CDTO Coordinator: Ref: FARA/AfDB/TAAT/CDTO Coord/2018/01
FARA is the continental apex body for agricultural research and innovation in Africa. Its mission is to contribute to generating high, broad-based and sustainable agricultural growth by catalyzing improvements to the productivity and competitiveness of the sector through increased and effective application of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI). FARA executes its mission by performing the following four functions: (i) advocacy for increased application of STI in agriculture which is a necessary condition for achieving national and continental development goals; (ii) strengthening the human, institutional and systemic capacities for agricultural innovation; (iii) facilitating the exchange of information and knowledge in STI for agriculture; and (iv) facilitating partnerships among research, innovation and agribusiness actors within Africa as well as between Africa and external regional or national entities. The Secretariat of FARA is based in Accra, Ghana. FARA is serving as one of the Implementing centers of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) project supported by the African Development Bank
Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) supports Feed Africa by providing needed, proven agricultural and food processing technologies and implementation strategies for inclusion within the Bank’s loans to Regional Member Countries. TAAT’s approaches revitalize and transform agriculture within the shortest possible time while restoring degraded land and maintaining or strengthening the ecosystems that underpin agriculture, while modernizing and more fully commercializing agriculture. FARA has been mandated to coordinate capacity development technology Outreach (CDTO) within TAAT.
To coordinate the activities driven by FARA under TAAT, FARA is seeking to recruit a highly qualified professional to fill the position of Lead Specialist, TAAT CDTO Coordinator.
Reporting to the Director Research and Innovation, the successful candidate shall inter-alia undertake the following roles and responsibilities:
- Lead conceptualization, superintend, develop and plan strategic issues aimed at achieving the results of CDTO TAAT in the wider context of FARA’s CD results
- Collaborate with all stakeholders in adapting CD approaches across value chains in the TAAT
- Oversee day to day implementation of CDTO activities including commercialization of TAAT technologies
- Develop with partners and stakeholders’ operational guidelines for implementing the TAAT as well as managing innovative platforms and systems for implementing TAAT;
- Work with stakeholders to design and implement a program coordination structure and mechanisms based on agreed activities
- Oversee the development of guidelines, collaborative agreements and frameworks to facilitate technical learning within value chains
- Follow up on strategic issues including CDTO selected assignments from all the partners involved in TAAT
- Facilitate work activities of the CDTO staff in accordance with mandates provided in the programme document
- Situating TAAT within the FARA scope and the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa (S3A) in general, work with the Lead Specialist ISP, the Outreach Officer and the Youth & Agribusiness Expert to deliver on the strategic goals of TAAT and FARA
- Take overall responsibility for achieving programmatic targets, quality assurance and adherence to timeline
- Facilitate and work with other stakeholders in executing demand-led capacity development plan
- Take responsibility for the preparation of technical and financial reports on the progress of agreed targets and goals
- Ensure production and dissemination of knowledge-based products and services
- Work with the partners and stakeholders to build a strategy to sensitize relevant stakeholders on the mechanism design and strategic direction of TAAT and ensure adequate buy-in through consultation with relevant stakeholders
- Lead development of capacity for FARA, SROs, NARIS, national agricultural ministries and agencies, CAADP national teams, Farmers Organizations and RECs to articulate and contribute to a common national, regional and continental Agricultural Research for Development (AR4D agenda and priorities in the context of S3A;
- Lead development of African Foresight Capacity in African countries and regional organizations level – including advancement of the establishment of the Africa Chapter of the Global Foresight Academy
- Ensure achievement of results for agri-competencies on priority value chains
- Facilitate development of Country Action Plans for human capital formation to implement the S3A with specific emphasis on Youth and Gender
- Serve as chief advocate to stimulate demand for TAAT services by countries
- Oversee the success of the CDTO TAAT program
- Any other duties as required by DRI and Management
- An advanced Postgraduate degree in Agricultural Science, Agricultural economics, Agricultural extension, Agribusiness or related qualification
- Must have managed a capacity development project at continental / regional level for at least 8 years.
- Must be knowledgeable on agricultural innovation systems, agricultural extension and outreach, adult learning techniques, group dynamics and agribusiness incubatio
- Solid Research and innovation skills in agricultural sector; Strong quantitative analytical and publication ski
- Strong people management and administrative skills
- Tenacious and results focused with a commitment to and passion for quality.
The position is based at the FARA secretariat in Accra, Ghana
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a cover letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be assessed against the required skills, experience and aptitudes set out above. Applications will be accepted up to 23rd March 2018
Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination based on gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
NB: Please quote in your application the reference code of the vacancy for which you are applying.
Download a Pdf copy HERE
24th May, 2018ACCRA, 23rd May 2018: THE Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) will collaborate with the African Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation (AOSTI)