FARA is the apex organization for agricultural research for development in Africa. The FARA Secretariat is the lead institution for Pillar IV of NEPAD’s Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) which encompasses agricultural research and technology dissemination and adoption. FARA works closely with sub-regional organizations (SROs) and national agricultural research and extension systems to ensure effective implementation of CAADP activities.
FARA is seeking to recruit a highly qualified professional to fill the position of Special Advisor to the Executive Director on Long Term Consultancy basis
Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate shall inter-alia perform the following roles and responsibilities:
The post holder will work closely and provide support to the Executive Director on all matters relevant to the function of the ED including strategic planning, management and coordination of FARA activities. The SAED will monitor and ensure efficient work flow within the EDU and other units of the Secretariat.
- Manage liaison between the EDU and HRA, Finance, Research and Partnerships Directorates
- Coordinate the administration of the EDU on strategic issues, aimed at ensuring coordination, synergy and seamless interface with other Units in matters relating to the functions of the
- Manage workflow from all units in FARA as it relates to the EDU, the SROs and other research partners, within and outside Af
- Coordinate with staff to produce and disseminate all reports to do with the ED’s official advocacy, lobbying, fundraising, forums and other trips
- Work with the ED’s Administrative Assistant to coordinate the planning of ED’s Official engagements
- Liaise with the DCPC on governance matters and provide the EDU support as required.
- Research and develop presentation papers for the ED as necessary
- Performs any other duties relating to the finance and administration function at the FARA Secretariat as will be requested from time to time by the FARA Executive Direct
Advanced or equivalent degree in international relations, Economics, business Management, agricultural economics, natural resources management, agricultural extension, agricultural
education or a related field. Must demonstrate good knowledge of contemporary drivers and
agenda of international agricultural practice/diplomacy and agricultural development in Africa in general.
Minimum of five years qualification in a similar capacity, preferably in an agricultural research and/or evaluation capacity in complex organizations. Experience working in multi- method programme and strategy evaluations; demonstrative quantitative analytic skills; deep strategic thinking tendencies that can be cultivated for complex research and development organizations in dynamic environments. The candidate must have an innovative thinking with strong people-oriented traits and high team spirit. A good written and oral communication skill with proficiency in English and/or French language with a working understanding of the other. Willing and able to undertake frequent travels at short notice.
This position is remunerated on lump-sum basis
The position is based at the FARA secretariat in Accra, Ghana
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a cover letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be assessed against the required skills, experience and aptitudes set out above. Applications will be accepted up to 5th March 2018
Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination based on gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
NB: Please quote in your application the reference code of the vacancy for which you are applying.
24th May, 2018ACCRA, 23rd May 2018: THE Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) will collaborate with the African Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation (AOSTI)