This request for expressions of interest follows the general procurement notice for this project that appeared in dg Market, issue no. 4577029 of November 10, 2009.
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is the apex continental organization mandated to coordinate agricultural research and innovation in Africa and advocate for its effective deployment as a driver for agricultural growth. FARA also serves as the technical arm of the Africa Union Commission (AUC) and the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA) on matters concerning science, technology and innovation for agriculture.
FARA intends to use part of the proceeds to the following consultant services:
ENGAGE AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO STRENGTHEN THE COMMUNICATION FUNCTION.
The mission of FARA is to contribute to generating high, broad-based and sustainable agricultural growth by catalyzing improvements in the productivity and competitiveness of the sector through increased and effective application of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI). FARA executes its mission by performing the following functions within the context of supporting the implementation of the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa: (i) advocacy for increased application of STI in agriculture which is a necessary condition for achieving national and continental agricultural development goals; (ii) strengthening the human, institutional and systemic capacities for agricultural innovation; (iii) facilitating the exchange of information and knowledge in STI for agriculture; and (iv) facilitating partnerships among research, innovation and agribusiness actors within Africa as well as between Africa and external regional or national entities.
The roles served by FARA are such that their successful execution is heavily dependent on the effectiveness of the communication function. FARA wishes to improve the effectiveness of its communication to advance information exchange, awareness-raising, education, and crucially, to influence behavior change at all levels (marketing).
FARA is therefore seeking to engage a consultant to facilitate: (a) the development of a communication strategy and business plan; (b) the preparation of several products aimed at enhancing FARA’s visibility and raising awareness about its work; and (c) the search for resources required to implement the business plan. The communication strategy will become a sub-strategy of FARA’s corporate strategy for the period 2019 to 2028.
A. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The purpose of the assignment is to improve the effectiveness of FARA’s communication in terms of increasing the visibility of science, technology and innovation for agriculture in Africa; enhancing awareness of the impact flowing from the work undertaken by FARA and its constituents; and leveraging the visibility and impacts to improve the policy environment and increase investments in STI, with the ultimate aim of further enhancing the impacts of STI on agriculture-dependent livelihoods.
Specifically, the assignment will involve (a) an audit of the current communication set up at FARA and an assessment of the communication needs; (b) development of a new communication and visibility strategy and plan; (c) training FARA Secretariat staff to develop essential communication competencies that are lacking; (d) preparation of several corporate communication products; and (e) facilitating the search for a consultant that will spearhead the implementation of the communication and visibility plan.
B. SCOPE OF WORK
Under the guidance of the Director of Corporate Partnerships and Communication, the Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct an audit of FARA’s communication structure, bench-marking it against best
- Develop a communication and visibility strategy and plan that responds to the mission of FARA and the objectives and partnership arrangements over the duration of FARA’s new strategy (2019-2028). This strategy and plan includes a social media strategy and plan;
- Develop guidelines for implementation of the communication plan;
- Develop a communication strategy and plan for the 8th Africa Agriculture Science Week (AASW) and FARA General Assembly (GA) which FARA will co-organise with the Centre for Coordination of Agricultural Research and Development for Southern Africa (CCARDESA); and which will take place in Swaziland in June/July 2019.
- Based on findings of the audit, conduct training for FARA Secretariat staff to acquire essential communication skills that are lacking, g. social media, and application of the communication guidelines
- Define the profile of a communication specialist required by FARA and facilitate the search for an individual best suited to play this role;
- Design and facilitate the production of key corporate communication materials including a corporate brochure; a short video about FARA, infographics of main achievements; the annual H
- Facilitate improvement of FARA’s web presence
C. OUTPUTS/ DELIVERABLES AND MILESTONES
The Consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- An inception report for the assignment outlining the methodology and timetable for delivery of outputs
- A report of the communication audit of FARA
- A communication and visibility strategy and plan, including a social media strategy
- Communication guidelines
- A communication strategy for the 8th AASW and FARA GA and 2nd CCARDESA
- Terms of Reference of FARA’s Communication Specialist
- The following communication products: corporate brochure, a short video about FARA, infographics of main achievements of FARA and STI for Agriculture in Africa in general; annual report for 2017 and stories of imp
- Training of staff acquire essential communication skills that are lacking
The duration of the assignment will be between 40 and 45 working days spread during the months of June and August 2018.
E. LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The assignment will be conducted at the FARA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana and at the home- base of the Consultant. The consultant is expected to spend a minimum of 15 days at the FARA Secretariat.
F. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
The Consultant is expected to undertake the services with the highest standards of professional and ethical considerations, competence and integrity. He/she is expected to deliver the outputs listed in Section D in a most effective and efficient manner within the assignment period stated in Section E of this document.
The Consultant will report to the Executive Director of FARA through the Director of Corporate Partnerships and Communications (DCPC) who shall serve as the focal person for this assignment.
H. FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY FARA
FARA will provide the following information and facilities to the consultant:
- Relevant information held by or readily accessed by FARA;
- Space to work at the FARA Secretariat, equipped with basic facilities and secretariat assistance;
- Access to staff and key partners for interviews and feedback;
- Raw content for the communication materials;
- Any other relevant information required and is available
I. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The following qualifications and experience are required for this assignment
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in development communication, journalism, public
- relations or related discipline;
- At least 10 years’ experience in development communication or marketing and at least five years’ experience in communication of science related work;
- Demonstrated experience in developing communication and visibility strategies and plans; and training to build organizational communication capacity;
- A track record in formulation and successful deployment of social media strategies;
- Proven experience in video production;
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills in English, with working knowledge of FrencH
The attention of interested consultants is drawn to Paragraph 1.9 of World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits and Grants by World Bank Borrowers – January 2011, Revised July 2014 setting forth the World Bank’s Policy on conflict of interest.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours between 0930 and 1600 GMT; Email: email@example.com
Interested candidates should send their expression of interest and comprehensive curriculum vitae via email to the address below by close of business on 9th June 2018:
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)
PMB CT 173, Ameda Street Roman Ridge Cantonments, Accra – Ghana.
Telephone: +233 302 772823/779421 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
You may download the pdf version of the EOI HERE
14th Nov, 2018
JOINT Press Release: Accra, Ghana, November 14, 2018
FARA, NIRSAL, Jigawa State and ARDP flag-off a south-south capacity development initiative in Kaduna, Nigeria
6th Aug, 2018Kaduna, 3rd August 2018: