This request for expressions of interest follows the general procurement notice for this project that appeared in dg Market, issue no. 4577029 of November 10, 2009.
FARA is the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa, an umbrella organization bringing together and forming coalitions of major stakeholders in agricultural research and development in Africa.
FARA intends to apply part of the proceeds for the following consultant services: TO ENGAGE AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO UNDERTAKE LUMPED EDITORIAL SERVICE FOR THE FARA SECRETARIAT.
FARA complements the innovative activities of national, international and sub-regional research institutions to deliver more responsive and effective services to its stakeholders. It plays advocacy and coordination roles for agricultural research for development, while the national agricultural research systems (NARS), advanced research institutions (ARIs) and international agricultural research centers (IARCs) develop and promote the adoption of improved technologies and policies along the research-to-development continuum in their respective countries and jurisdictions.
A. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The objective of this assignment is to ensure that FARA’s publications are prepared for printing in a timely fashion, and that they adhere to house style and professional business English.
B. SCOPE OF WORK:
Specifically, the consultant will undertake the following tasks.
- Provide extensive editing and proofreading for FARA’s official documents which amongst others include annual reports, annual work plans and budgets, research reports, media releases and news articles, technical papers advertisements, brochures and fly
- Edit and proofread material and be capable of adjusting writing style for various targeted audience;
- Provide recommendations for improving presentation of informatio The editorial work shall adhere to the following levels:
- Substantive editing. The Editor must understand the importance of the document and work to ensure that the intent of the author(s) is not distorted. Substantive editing involves considerable rewriting, rearrangement of text, reworking figures and tables and checking all citations and bibliographic referenc
- Copy editing. This level is far less demanding but nonetheless very important
- The editor must ensure that FARA house style is adhered to, that all technical names are correct, and that the material presented is politically neutral. Punctuation, capitalization and the general appearance of the document must be consistent and correct. All references must be thoroughly checked.
- Proofreading. This is the last stage of editi The editor reads through the entire document, checking for consistency and accuracy. Of importance are the table of contents and the list of acronyms.
C. OUTPUTS / DELIVERABLES AND MILESTONES:
The following key deliverables are expected:
- The consultant shall edit reports for style, grammar, punctuation, syntax, and spelling, but also identifying potential gaps in analysis or argument
- The consultant will produce the edited, typed set and final Report in Word and other appropriate versions, ready for the printing.
- The consultant will produce the final Report in PDF (both high & low resolutions), ready for printing and publications
- The Consultant will produce one/two pager summaries and graphics for all reports edited These will be presented in Pdf, Jpeg and other editable formats
D. DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The duration of this assignment is ONE year.
The Standard time-frame for the editorial delivery shall be as follows from the date of submission by FARA Secretariat:
Editorial volume (no.
|Ordinary editorial services
(no. of days)
|Urgent editorial services (no. of
|101 and above||As per the above time
|As per the above time
E. LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be carried out at the home office of the consultant and outputs submitted to FARA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana.
F. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
The Consultant is expected to undertake the services with the highest standards of professional and ethical competence and integrity. The Consultant should be able to deliver the listed assignments in a most effective and efficient manner, within the period of assignment stated in Section D.
The Consulting firm shall report to the Director, Corporate Partnership & Communications.
H. FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY FARA:
FARA will provide the following:
- Reports from the various Programs and Units
- Guidance on the expected outputs
- Required pictures and illustration
I. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The Editor should have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of Master’s degree in English, journalism, agriculture, international
- development, or related areas;
- Proven writing skills and at least 5 years’ experience in providing editorial services for similar assignment
- A good understanding and knowledge of the African Agricultural Research for Development sector
Please send (via e-mail) comprehensive curriculum vitae with the contact details of at least three referees to the address below by close of business on 9th June 2018:
Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo Executive Director
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)
PMB CT 13, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana Telephone: +233 302 772823/779421
For further clarification you may contact Dr. Aggrey Agumya at: firstname.lastname@example.org
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
You may download a Pdf copy HERE
FARA calls for stronger alignment of Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Programs to the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa (S3A)
26th Mar, 2019Geneva: 21st March 2019 With the launch of the Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) negotiations, the African Union (AU) has demonstrated commitment to
FARA (TAAT_CDTO) Collaborates with AfricaSeeds in conceptualising the Seed Knowledge Gateway for Africa
22nd Feb, 2019The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) through the Capacity Development & Technology Outreach Enabler Compact of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation