Name of project: FARA Multi-Donor Trust Fund (FARA-MDTF)
Grant No: FARA-MDTF TF095129
Project ID No.: P112684
Ref: Date: October 08, 2018
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is the apex continental organization mandated to coordinate agricultural research and innovation in Africa. FARA also serves as the technical arm of the Africa Union Commission (AUC) and the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA) on matters concerning science, technology and innovation for agriculture.
FARA intends to apply part of the proceeds for the following consultant services:
GOVERNANCE EXPERT ON FARA’S BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The mission of FARA is to contribute to generating high, broad-based and sustainable agricultural growth by catalysing improvements to the productivity and competitiveness of the sector through increased and effective application of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI). FARA executes its mission by performing the following functions within the context of supporting the implementation of the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa: (i) advocacy for increased application of STI in agriculture which is a necessary condition for achieving national and continental agricultural development goals; (ii) strengthening the human, institutional and systemic capacities for agricultural innovation; (iii) facilitating the exchange of information and knowledge in STI for agriculture; and (iv) facilitating partnerships among research, innovation and agribusiness actors within Africa as well as between Africa and external regional or national entities.
FARA’s Board of Directors provides governance oversight of FARA on behalf of the General Assembly. To this end, the Board holds two ordinary meetings annually. The Board’s membership includes a non-executive Director position for a Governance Expert who is charged with advising the Board on legal and governance matters.
A. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT (THE APPOINTMENT)
The main role of this position is to serve as a member of the Board of Directors of FARA with specific responsibilities for advising the Board on governance issues including strengthening the governance organs and processes of FARA and enhancing the effectiveness of these organs in performing their functions.
B. SCOPE OF WORK
As a Director on the Board of FARA, the Governance Expert is expected to engage with other Board Directors members in discharging Board functions prescribed by the FARA’s Governance Manual. Further, the Governance Expert shall perform the duties listed below and in carrying them out, he/she shall be assisted by FARA’s lawyer:
- Advise the Board and its Committees on all issues concerning corporate governance.
- Strengthen compliance by the Board and its Committees, and the FARA Secretariat, with FARA’s Governance policies and procedures.
- Review and continuously improve the Board’s self-assessment tools.
- Advise the Board on emerging trends of good corporate governance practices.
- Advise on amendments to the Governance Manual of FARA to ensure that FARA’s governance is in conformity with modern good corporate governance practices.
- Conduct periodic reviews of the Constitution of FARA and make recommendations to the Board;
- Advise on the governance reforms needed by FARA to improve its effectiveness in carrying out its mandate and guide the process for implementation of these reforms;
- Advise on continuous improvement of the process for induction of new Board members;
- Develop a comprehensive exit interview questionnaire to facilitate the recording of the experiences of individual exiting Board members to enrich the institutional memory of the Board;
C. OUTPUTS OR DELIVERABLES
The Governance Expert on the Board of FARA is be expected to deliver the functions as prescribed above and as may be directed by the Chairperson of the Board from time to time.
D. DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The tenure of the Board appointment is three (3) years for an initial term with an option to serve for a second three-year term. FARA Board Directors are expected to commit two to three weeks a year to FARA Board activities including full participation in two ordinary Board and Committee meetings
E. LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
FARA Board meetings are ordinarily held at the FARA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana. Board Directors may be assigned tasks that require them to travel to other locations as agreed with the Chairperson.
F. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
The Governance Expert is expected to undertake the duties outlined in Section C above with the highest standards of professional and ethical competence and integrity, and in an effective and efficient manner.
The Governance Expert will report to the Chairperson of FARA.
H. FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY FARA
FARA will provide the following to the Governance Expert:
- An honorarium for attending Board meetings
- Travel and logistics arrangements when required
- Board-related information and any other available information necessary to perform his/her functions
- The support of FARA’s lawyer
I. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
The following qualifications are required:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in Law, Business, Economics, Accounting, Finance, Governance or related field, plus a full membership of an association of governance experts or a professional qualification in Corporate Governance;
- At least 15 years of practical hands-on experience in Governance; or at least 15 years employment/consulting services in the field of Corporate Governance preferably in an international research organization or non-profit organization;
- Ability to provide value-added insight to board room discussions;
- Evidence of prior service as a Board member of a reputable organization
FARA invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested individual consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.).
The Individual Consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Selection and Employment of Consultants by the World Bank Borrowers, January 2011 revised July 2014.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 0900 to 1500 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered by e-mail to the address below on or before October 27, 2018 to.
Dr Yemi Akinbamijo
The Executive Director,
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)
PMB CT 173/12 Ameda Street Roman Ridge,
Consultants are advised to quote the Assignment Title & Reference Number in the application.
You may download the Pdf version of the advert at EOI -Governance Expert on FARA’s Board of Directors
FARA (TAAT_CDTO) Collaborates with AfricaSeeds in conceptualising the Seed Knowledge Gateway for Africa
22nd Feb, 2019The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) through the Capacity Development & Technology Outreach Enabler Compact of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation
2019 International Day of Women and Girls in Science: FARA Salutes Dr Irene Annor-Frempong; African Woman Scientist Par Excellence!
11th Feb, 2019Accra, Ghana; February 11, 2019: In recognition of the gap in access and participation in science for women and girls,