This request for expressions of interest follows the general procurement notice for this project that appeared in dg Market, issue no. 4577029 of November 10, 2009.
The forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) has received a grant from the Multi-Donor Trust Fund (MDTF) towards the cost of implementation of Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) new Strategy (2019 – 2028) and it’s MTOP (2019-2023).
FARA intends to apply part of the proceeds for the following consultant services: TO ENGAGE AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO FACILITATE THE CRAFTING OF FARA’S NEW STRATEGY (2019 – 2028) AND MTOP (2019 – 2023).
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is an apex organization bringing together and forming coalitions of major stakeholders in agricultural research for development (AR4D) in Africa. It is the technical arm of the African Union (AU) with the mandate of developing and coordinating Agricultural Research for Development in Africa. FARA was the lead institution for the implementation of Pillar IV of NEPAD’s Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP). FARA led the development of the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa (S3A), which was endorsed by the AU Heads of State and governments in June 2014. The S3A contributes to the priorities of Malabo Commitments as well as the Science Technology Initiative Strategy for Africa (STISA).
Since its formation, FARA has gone through three phases of strategic planning. After two successive strategies and their Operational Plans, in 2012, FARA launched its Third Medium Term Operational Plan (MTOP 2) 2014-2018. Two years into the implementation of the Plan, a number of fundamental changes not anticipated by the Plan have taken place on the continent, which make a revision or a recast of the MTOP a necessity. The recast MTOP 2 (MTOP 2R), 2014-2018 was guided by developments, which include the launch of CAADP Phase II; the launch of the AU Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA 2024) and the endorsement by African Heads of State and Government of the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa (S3A). The S3A was developed by FARA at the request of the AUC and NEPAD.
A. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
- 2018 is the final year for the implementation of FARA strategy (2007 – 2016) and Revised Medium Term Operational Plan (MTOP 2014 – 2018). In addition, the current cycle of FARA’s main funding source; Multi Donor Trust fund (MDTF) will also end in 2018. FARA has initiated a process of developing its new Strategy (2019 – 2028) and it’s MTOP (2018-2022).
- Beside the S3A, The Strategy and MTOP will also draw from evidence of the impact of FARA’s work, FARA tools and products developed over the last fifteen years, demands on FARA by its constituents as well as the foresight on the future outlook of AR4D in the continent.
B. SCOPE OF WORK:
The overall goal of the Strategy and MTOP is to enhance the relevance of the FARA and responsiveness of its programmes to the priorities and demands for Agricultural transformation beyond 2018. Thus, the development process is to generate;
- the demands on FARA in AR4D in Africa are clearly identified
- FARA’s mandate and niche is identified and agreed.
- FARA priorities and expected contribution to AR4D for the next 5 – 10 years are well defined
- Strategies and tools are identified to enhance implementation (including financing)
- Facilitation is required to enable FARA articulate these expectations and to draft the MTOP and Strategies, emerging from the development process
About the Strategy Development Process:
The approach for the development of FARA’s new strategy and MTOP is mainly driven by the following considerations
- A Strategy and MTOP whose development is participatory
- A FARA strategy and MTOP which is accepted by different FARA partners – national, sub regional, technical and authorizing environment
- A FARA strategy that will enhance FARA’s vision, position, mandate and programming within the AR4D landscape in Africa
- A FARA strategy and MTOP which is solicited and supported by partners. Based on the foregoing, the development of the strategy will follow seven key steps.
These are articulated in the attached Roadmap.
I. A preparatory process
II. Commissioned Studies and Assessments
III. Stakeholder Consultations
IV. A crafting process
V. FARA Development Partner group meeting and Donor roundtable
VI. Peer Review and Validation
VII. Board Approval Finalization, printing and sharing
C. OUTPUTS / DELIVERABLES AND MILESTONES:
The following key deliverables are expected:
- Undertake literature review on areas on Synergy and alignment with Strategies of AR4D Institutions in Africa, CAADP and other potential donor organizations – July 2018
- The facilitator will participate and/or facilitate consultations for the development of the Strategy and MTOP. The consultations will be between April – August 2018
- From the consultation and the studies, and in consultation with FARA staff, the facilitator will craft the Strategy and MTOP – September 2018.
D. DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Consultancy is for 15 man-days between July and October 2018, broken down as follows;
- 2 days of literature review on Strategy Alignment to enhance a solicited Strategy and MTOP
- 5 days of facilitation/participation in events organized by FARA
- 8 days of writing the Strategy and MTOP.
E. LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be home-based (FARA –GHANA)
F. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
The Consultant is expected to undertake the services with the highest standards of professional /ethical competence and integrity. He/ she should be able to deliver the listed assignments in a most effective and efficient manner, within the period of assignment stated in Section D.
The consultant will report directly to the Director of Research and Innovation Unit in FARA.
H. FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY FARA:
Where necessary, FARA will provide the following to the consultants:
- Travel and accommodation (where necessary)
Any other logistical support, as may be mutually agreed, to ensure success of the assignment
I. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The consultant(s) should:
- Have a PhD degree in Agricultural Economics, Rural Sociology, Agriculture or Development studies.
- Have over 8 years professional or post-graduation experience in Agricultural Research for Development in Africa.
- Excellent track record of strategy development on Agricultural Research and Development in Africa at continental level.
- Have demonstrable ability to write solicited strategies and donor engagement.
- Have bilingual competency (i.e. English & French).
Please send (via e-mail) comprehensive curriculum vitae, technical and financial proposal to the following by 10th August 2018:
Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo Executive Director
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)
PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana Telephone: +233 302 772823/779421
For further clarification, you may contact Dr. Irene Annor-Frempong at: firstname.lastname@example.org
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
You may download a Pdf copy of the EOI at EOI-Consultant to facilitate the Crafting of New FARA Strategy MTOP (4) – 2
14th Nov, 2018
JOINT Press Release: Accra, Ghana, November 14, 2018
FARA, NIRSAL, Jigawa State and ARDP flag-off a south-south capacity development initiative in Kaduna, Nigeria
6th Aug, 2018Kaduna, 3rd August 2018: