The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is the apex continental organization mandated to coordinate agricultural research and innovation in Africa and advocate for its effective deployment as a driver for agricultural growth. FARA also serves as the technical arm of the Africa Union Commission (AUC) and the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA) on matters concerning science, technology and innovation for agriculture.
The mission of FARA is to contribute to generating high, broad-based and sustainable agricultural growth by catalyzing improvements in the productivity and competitiveness of the sector through increased and effective application of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI). FARA executes its mission by performing the following functions within the context of supporting the implementation of the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa: (i) advocacy for increased application of STI in agriculture which is a necessary condition for achieving national and continental agricultural development goals; (ii) strengthening the human, institutional and systemic capacities for agricultural innovation; (iii) facilitating the exchange of information and knowledge in STI for agriculture; and (iv) facilitating partnerships among research, innovation and agribusiness actors within Africa as well as between Africa and external regional or national entities.
The roles served by FARA are such that their successful execution is heavily dependent on the effectiveness of the Procurement function. FARA is therefore seeking to engage a long term consultant to oversee its procurement activities.
A. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Procurement Expert will take overall charge of FARA’s procurement management and conduct among others the tasks identified below by applying sound technical practices and methods and collecting and making use of available and necessary data in carrying out the assignment. S/he is required to train the FARA procurement staff and work towards building capacity of FARA’s Procurement Unit.
B. SCOPE OF WORK
The Procurement Expert will discuss issues that would affect efficient procurement management with the Human Resource and Administration Manager and agree on ways to resolve them.
The Manager, shall, inter alia, undertake the following:
- Establish and manage a procurement management system for FARA, based on the guidelines and procedures for procurement under World Bank-funded projects, the African Development Bank and the government regulations for the procurement of goods, works and services under the Ghana Public Procurement Law;
- Using the appropriate relevant donor Standard Bidding Documents (SBDs), prepare FARA customized Bidding Documents and Request for Proposals (RFP) including standardized forms to be used for conducting International and Local Procurement and conforming with the Ghana Public Procurement Act;
- Monitor procurement implementation and update the procurement plans
- Prepare the General Procurement Notices (GPN), Specific Procurement Notices (SPNs), ToRs and Expressions of Interest (EOIs) whenever required;
- Establish a register of qualified suppliers and consultants
- Monitor and ensure timely responses to procurement questions from various gr For services, follow-up with the shortlisted consultants within stipulated period of RFP dispatch, to ensure their participation in the selection exercise, including their attendance at pre-proposal conference, as may be required;
- Prepare final contracts and ensure timely distribution of all relevant procurement and contract documents to all stakeholde (Consultants, Suppliers, relevant donors and Technical Officers of FARA and partners).
- Ensure timely receipt of goods and monthly status reports on the
- Prepare semi-annual and annual procurement reports as necessary
- Provide support and training to the procurement and other staff involved in the units activities
- Oversee and provide guidance when necessary on the procurement aspects of Donor funded projects at National Agricultural Research System (NARS) level;
- Assist in annual procurement audit including, making available all project related documentation and facilitating the process as may be required
- Being vigilant in the procurement role, being an anti-corruption advocate and champion and carrying out any other relevant periodic duties
- Provide the necessary procurement support to other agencies directly supported by
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
C. OUTPUTS OR DELIVERABLES
- Comprehensive procurement plans
- Procurement reports
- Database of suppliers and Consultants
D. DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The duration of this assignment will be for a year initially.
E. LOCATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The individual shall be based in Accra and deliver assignments from the FARA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana
F. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
The Individual is expected to undertake the services with the highest standards of professional and ethical competence and integrity. The individual should be able to deliver the listed assignments and all others to be assigned in a most effective and efficient manner, within agreed time frame
The Individual shall report functionally to the HR and Administration Manager.
H. FACILITIES TO BE PROVIDED BY FARA
FARA will provide the following information and facilities to the consultant:
- Relevant documents
- Equipment and tools
- Database of stakeholders
I. QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in International procurement, management of public procurement and project management. Experience in World Bank procurement procedures will be required. Educational and professional qualifications include:
- Masters degree in relevant discipline, g. Business law, Engineering, Administration, Economics etc. with a minimum of five (5) years post graduate experience in procurement, and contract management in the public sector and International organization;
- Must have good knowledge of procurement policies and procedures of multilateral financial institutions and development co-operation agencies; as well as good knowledge of the institutional, technical, and commercial aspects of procurement;
- Excellent skills in project management demonstrated in previous jobs;
- Work experience on management of donor-funded projects (particularly projects funded by multilateral agencies and/ using World Bank procedures) within the last three years is an added advant Experience of similar assignments in the region is highly preferred.
- Proven track record in working effectively within multidisciplinary te
- Knowledge and understanding of Agricultural Research issues will be benefic
- Experience working with National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) would be a great advantage
- Fluency in oral and written English is essen Working knowledge of French will be an added
This is a lump sum remunerated position.
FARA now invites eligible individual consultants to indicate their interest in providing the services. Interested individual consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.).
Individuals will be selected in accordance with the procedures set out in the World Bank’s Selection and Employment of Consultants by the World Bank Borrowers, January 2011 revised July, 2014.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours
0900 to 1500 hours.
Please send via e-mail, your comprehensive curriculum vitae and expression of interest to the address below, by close of business on 9th June 2018:
Dr Yemi Akinbamijo
The Executive Director,
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)
PMB CT 173/12 Ameda Street Roman Ridge, Accra, Ghana.
Please include the position reference code indicated above as part of your subject when forwarding your application.
You may download a Pdf copy of the advert HERE
14th Nov, 2018
JOINT Press Release: Accra, Ghana, November 14, 2018
FARA, NIRSAL, Jigawa State and ARDP flag-off a south-south capacity development initiative in Kaduna, Nigeria
6th Aug, 2018Kaduna, 3rd August 2018: