We are retained by the Association for Strengthening of Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA) to identify a competent individual, who is a national of ASARECA member country to fill the post of Executive Secretary based in their headquarters in Entebbe, Uganda. ASARECA is a sub-regional not-for-profit organization covering eleven countries in Eastern and Central Africa, comprising Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
The mission of ASARECA is to mobilize regional collective action in agricultural research for development, extension, training and education to enhance sustainable use of resources in Eastern and Central Africa. Its goal is to reduce poverty, eradicate hunger, promote inclusive economic growth; protect the planet and enhance competitiveness of the sub- regional agricultural systems’. Its purpose is an ‘enhanced utilization of agricultural research and development innovations in eastern and central Africa’
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Secretary is responsible for providing strategic leadership and management to achieve ASARECA’s mission. He/she develops and maintains strategic relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders (policymakers, National Agricultural Research and Extension Institutions, farmers, private sector, NGOs, universities, sub-regional organizations, CGIAR, secretariats of Regional Economic Community, development partners, etc.) that ASARECA partners with and relies on to achieve its goal.
As the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Executive Secretary is responsible for efficient management of the Secretariat and serves as the Secretary to ASARECA’s Board of Directors. The main challenge for the CEO will be to manage the transition, rebranding and marketing of ASARECA in the sub regional, continental and global scientific, business and political arena as part of its reorganization
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide vision and leadership in strategic and operational planning and implementation of ASARECA’s transition process and thereafter.
• Provide leadership in financial, human, physical resources mobilization and management
• Oversee the management of ASARECA to ensure the Secretariat is appropriately structured, effectively administered, staffed and funded to perform its mission, in keeping with the policy and procedure approved by the ASARECA Board of Directors.
• Serve as the principal interlocutor for ASARECA in sub-regional, regional economic communities (RECs), continental and other international fora, to increase the visibility of ASARECA and collective action more broadly,
• Promote and nurture partnership with relevant institutions involved in agricultural research and innovation program in AR4D landscape at sub-regional, continental and global arena.
• Sustain and build excellent relationships with national and supra-national actors that ASARECA relies on to achieve its goal.
• Ensure that ASARECA’s agenda and outputs remain relevant and provide solutions to the subregion and member country demands.
• Undertake frequent travel within the sub-region and beyond to represent ASARECA in relevant fora and bilateral meetings.
• PhD in agricultural, biological, physical, social/business sciences, or related fields from a recognized university
• 10-15years experience, taking on progressively more responsibility in research management and coordination. Leadership experience in a continental or sub-regional organization is preferred
• Deep understanding of collective action in agricultural research and innovation management and how it can be harnessed to improve the impact of research and innovation packages for adoption and upscaling
• Demonstrated strong understanding of agricultural research for development issues in Africa
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build consensus and manage conflict
• Excellent English, both written and spoken. Proficiency in French will be an added advantage
• A strong record of fundraising experience and familiarity with working and reporting modalities of ASARECA’s funders
• Demonstrated ability to build and sustain partnerships
• Willingness and ability to work under stress; including willingness and ability to travel extensively Terms and Conditions
This is a regionally recruited position for ASARECA, which offers an attractive remuneration package. The position is open only to nationals of ASARECA member countries. The initial contract period will be for 5 years, subject to a probationary period of six months.
Applications with detailed curriculum vitae (in pdf form), copies of certificates, transcripts, names of three referees and the applicant’s Skype Address; daytime telephone contact should be sent online to our Email Address: email@example.com
Any form of canvassing will disqualify. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Closing date: 18 May 2018
You may download a copy HERE
FARA, NIRSAL, Jigawa State and ARDP flag-off a south-south capacity development initiative in Kaduna, Nigeria
6th Aug, 2018Kaduna, 3rd August 2018:
23rd Jul, 2018Accra, Ghana: 20th July 2018. Precisely five years ago on the occasion of the 6th African AGROCILTURAL Science Week and General Assembly of the Forum