ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics is home to over 2 billion people, with 650 million of these being the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture. ICRISAT, established in 1972, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, visit www.icrisat.org
ICRISAT is seeking applications for the position of Program Officer which will be based at ICRISAT, Bamako, Mali.
Position Title: Program Officer
Duty Station: Bamako
Section/Unit: WCA Program
Reports to: Regional and Research Program Director, ICRISAT WCA
Purpose of Position: The position is responsible for overseeing various programs, preparing reports, building relationships and Coordinating with colleagues/partners to ensure smooth implementation of regional and research program activities.
- Provide exceptional support to the Regional and Research Program Director in developing annual work plans and monitoring their execution against the project baseline, including activities, deliverables, schedule, and associated costs, and ensure achievement.
- Initiate and participate in developing, implementing and evaluating operational management plans, budgets and business process improvement programs aimed at improving efficiency and effectiveness.
- Support and coordinate resource mobilization efforts, including timely submission of proposals where WCA scientists are involved.
- Prepare technical and financial reports in consultation with project principal investigators and project team members for timely reporting to Management/donors.
- Ensure effective communication and collaboration between scientific and administrative units.
- Prepare necessary documentation and execute project sub-agreements, memoranda of understanding, consultancies, ensuring full compliance to established institutional policies and processes, monitor their implementation, and ensure smooth closure of contracts.
- Contribute towards management of stakeholder expectations; tracking and monitoring of project deliverables, including monitoring of the project variables (cost, effort, scope, etc.) against the project work plans.
- Coordinate arrangements for visiting scientists, interns and students.
- Develop and implement effective and efficient tools for project tracking to monitor and report on all activities.
- Coordinate day-to-day management of a fast-paced research environment.
- Make logistical arrangements for research conferences, workshops and seminars.
- Follow through with partners and relevant sections (especially field stations and scientists on implementation of agreed agenda), Handle external enquiries for information and internal questions and queries.
- Carry out any other duties to reinforce effective and efficient project administration.
- Attend periodic internal meetings and represent ICRISAT as appropriately delegated, at external meetings.
- Analyze reports, draw conclusions and make presentations that will result in effective decision-making.
- Identify and take action to mitigate potential risks within own work area.
- Perform any job related duties as may be assigned by Supervisor or as the position may require.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science and Master’s degree in related Sciences or Business Administration
- Up to five (5) years’ work experience in program management.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Is conversant with scientific principles, processes and practices
- Plan work for team and ensures set targets/deadlines are met
- Ability to analyze reports, draw conclusions, make presentations that will result in effective decision-making.
- Demonstrate high adaptability and flexibility in accommodating change
- Support and foster team participation with interpersonal skills appropriate to the scope of the work.
- Ensure compliance of activities in line with set standards under the supervisor’s guidance
- Use appropriate media to communicate e.g. face to face meetings, emails, skype etc.
- Ability to provide clear direction and guidance to others
- Has organizational and priority setting skills
- Set standards of behavior and demands high standards from team
This is a Senior Management Group staff (SMG) position which is initially for two years, and renewable depending on performance of the incumbent.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should apply on or before 06 August 2017 by email to: email@example.com with a letter of motivation, latest curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted. ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer.
Interviews will be held at the Samanko Station, Bamako-Mali
FARA, NIRSAL, Jigawa State and ARDP flag-off a south-south capacity development initiative in Kaduna, Nigeria
6th Aug, 2018Kaduna, 3rd August 2018:
23rd Jul, 2018Accra, Ghana: 20th July 2018. Precisely five years ago on the occasion of the 6th African AGROCILTURAL Science Week and General Assembly of the Forum