Theme 1: African continental policies, frameworks and initiatives
- Overall, there is limited familiarity with existing continental policies and frameworks by various stakeholder groups. There is need for increased awareness creation and advocacy at country level.
- New challenges and opportunities call for revision of policies and strategies for their implementation. Some policies and frameworks need to be revised to address current and emerging issues as well as aligned with recent global frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- There is little understanding of what constitutes the 10% budegt allocation to agriculture and whether government allocations to Ministries such as Water and Environment should be considered as agricultural allocations. The view is that the 10% should include allocations to agriculture-related ministries.
- There are no mechanisms to “force” countries to allocate the 10% to agriculture. However, there are systems to monitor and track country budget allocations to agriculture. There is need for more advocacy on this issue.
- Several continent-wide policies and frameworks do exist but are not being implemented. The disconnect between planning and implementation remains an issue, particularly in Africa where resources are scarce. Need to bridge the gap between planning and implemenation.
- Africa’s capacity challenges are enormous. Inadequate country-level capacity to implement existing policies and frameworks remain an issue. Building in-country human and institutional capacity is critical for implementing national and regional policies. Harmonization of existing policies and frameworks is also important.
- TAAT is a good initiative with great potential contribution to CAADP but there is need to create more awareness to get government buy-in.
- Engagement of youths in development of continental policies and frameworks is an important step towards attracting them into agriculture.
Potential follow-up questions:
- How do we engage African politicians and policy-makers in the implementation of continental policies and frameworks at national level?
22nd Feb, 2019
The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) through the Capacity Development & Technology Outreach Enabler Compact of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation
Full list of News & Events >
11th Feb, 2019
Accra, Ghana; February 11, 2019:
In recognition of the gap in access and participation in science for women and girls,