FARA is the continental apex body for agricultural research and innovation in Africa. Its mission is to contribute to generating high, broad-based and sustainable agricultural growth by catalyzing improvements to the productivity and competitiveness of the sector through increased and effective application of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI). FARA executes its mission by performing the following four functions: (i) advocacy for increased application of STI in agriculture which is a necessary condition for achieving national and continental development goals; (ii) strengthening the human, institutional and systemic capacities for agricultural innovation; (iii) facilitating the exchange of information and knowledge in STI for agriculture; and (iv) facilitating partnerships among research, innovation and agribusiness actors within Africa as well as between Africa and external regional or national entities. The Secretariat of FARA is based in Accra, Ghana. FARA is serving as one of the Implementing centers of the Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) project supported by the African Development Bank.
Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) supports the Feed Africa by providing needed, proven agricultural and food processing technologies and implementation strategies for inclusion within the Bank’s loans to Regional Member Countries. TAAT’s approaches revitalize and transform agriculture within the shortest possible time while restoring degraded land and maintaining or strengthening the ecosystems that underpin agriculture, while modernizing and more fully commercializing agriculture. FARA has been mandated to coordinate capacity development technology Outreach (CDTO) within TAAT. To coordinate the activities driven by FARA under TAAT, the organization is seeking to hire an Expert in Agribusiness.
Reporting to the Director, Research and Innovation, the successful candidate shall inter-alia perform the following roles and responsibilities:
- Oversee day to day implementation of CDTO TAAT agribusiness activities
- Develop a framework for developing agri-business investments in support of the TAAT value chains
- Develop agri-business youth engagement strategy
- Oversee the efforts of agricultural programs in the CDTO TAAT activities, particularly focusing on value chain upgrading
- Lead project development and strategic support in value chain development and improving access to agricultural inputs, gender and youth
- Provide capacity building support and mentoring to CDTO TAAT Components in various regions and locations as required
- Provide inputs for the development of a comprehensive database of all existing agri- businesses in the regions, their capital base and their work with farmers
- Work closely with all partners on all agri-business and investment opportunities to support accelerated investments in agricultural value chains
- Work closely with partners to develop a market systems approach to support the TAAT value chains
- Facilitate capacity building support to effectively mobilize and develop agribusiness opportunities for target beneficiaries, CDTO TAAT partners and other key market stakeholders
- Facilitate the effective integration of agribusiness, gender and broader social development dimensions in CDTO TAAT activities managed by FARA
- Develop and refine responsive agribusiness policy elements and inputs for incorporating in CDTO TAAT activities
- Facilitate cross-regional exchange of knowledge and documentation of field-tested agri- business, gender, youth and social inclusion approaches with potential for scaling, amplifying and transferring success.
- Oversee the activities of the FARA-YPARD Africa Chapter initiative.
- Any other duties as required by the DRI and Management
Master’s degree in agriculture, agribusiness, agricultural economics, or related field is required. At least five (5) years of professional work experience in agribusiness development with an emphasis on value chain development, rural finance, regional/international trade policy.
Knowledge of supply and value chains of agribusiness within Africa. Demonstrated practical knowledge of regional agribusiness firms. Experience working in an International organization or in a for-profit agribusiness. Demonstrated experience with gender mainstreaming in agriculture projects. Experience leading and building the capacity of teams of agriculture-focused; including remote, field-based personnel. Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including demonstrated ICT skills.
FARA offers competitive salary and benefits in accordance with position and scale.
The position is based at the FARA secretariat in Accra, Ghana
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a cover letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be assessed against the required skills, experience and aptitudes set out above. Applications will be accepted up to 21st June 2018
Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
NB: Please quote in your application the reference code of the vacancy for which you are applying.
You may download the Pdf copy of the advert HERE
FARA, NIRSAL, Jigawa State and ARDP flag-off a south-south capacity development initiative in Kaduna, Nigeria
6th Aug, 2018Kaduna, 3rd August 2018:
23rd Jul, 2018Accra, Ghana: 20th July 2018. Precisely five years ago on the occasion of the 6th African AGROCILTURAL Science Week and General Assembly of the Forum