The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) is the apex continental organization mandated to coordinate agricultural research and innovation in Africa and advocate for its effective deployment as a driver for agricultural growth. FARA also serves as the technical arm of the Africa Union Commission (AUC) and the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA) on matters concerning science, technology and innovation for agriculture.
The mission of FARA is to contribute to generating high, broad-based and sustainable agricultural growth by catalyzing improvements to the productivity and competitiveness of the sector through increased and effective application of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI). FARA executes its mission by performing the following functions within the context of supporting the implementation of the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa: (i) advocacy for increased application of STI in agriculture which is a necessary condition for achieving national and continental agricultural development goals; (ii) strengthening the human, institutional and systemic capacities for agricultural innovation; (iii) facilitating the exchange of information and knowledge in STI for agriculture; and (iv) facilitating partnerships among research, innovation and agribusiness actors within Africa as well as between Africa and external regional or national entities.
The roles served by FARA are such that their successful execution is heavily dependent on the effectiveness of the communication function.
FARA has a vacancy for the position of Communications Specialist at its headquarters in Accra, Ghana. The successful candidate will be in charge of ensuring smooth and effective implementation of the Strategic Communication plan of the Institution.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Partnerships and Communications the successful candidate shall inter-alia perform the following roles and responsibilities:
- Implement the current communications strategy in line with the new institutional strategy and operational plan;
- oversee the implementation of, or conduct directly, the following:
- Develop an annual communications plan, work plan and budget;
- Design and/or manage the creation of innovative communications initiatives that contribute to enhancing FARA visibility and stature with key target audiences;
- Develop project/event-specific communications plans;
- Coordinate and supervise communication activities including media relations, social media, audiovisual productions, outreach and promotion, corporate web presence, publishing, library and knowledge services; (e-newsletters, videos, infographics, news releases, media kits, media briefings, social media activities; corporate publications, impact stories; websites where appropriate);
- Build strong professional relations in communication with FARA’s partners;
- Ensure public relations and media relations activities which contribute to FARA visibility with identified target audiences;
- Monitor and ensure full application of the current FARA brand identity in all communications products, initiatives and projects;
- Organize promotional events or side-events (including exhibitions, stands, displays) where they contribute to the effective delivery of key FARA messages and contribute demonstrably to FARA goals;
- Oversee and when necessary write/edit the production of key FARA communications products, including the annual Corporate report;
- Manage the implementation of a coherent social media strategy to match target audiences and FARA needs;
- Develop a robust, analytical framework for evaluating social media and other FARA communications initiatives and channels;
- Work with Knowledge Management specialists and others to systematize access to FARA research publications;
- Oversee communication and media relations for the 8th African Agriculture Science Week
- Implement, in conjunction with the Director of Corporate Partnerships and Communications, key recommendations of the FARA Communications Audit.
The desired candidate for this position should be a qualified professional with strong skills and competences as described below:
- Master’s degree in communication or Public relations or any other relevant field or equivalent experience;
- At least five (5) years of working experience in communication fiel Experience/familiarity with FARA and/or with agricultural research will be an advantage;
- Proven experience in developing and implementing corporate communication strategies at national or sub-regional levels;
- Experience in developing and implementing media, advocacy or marketing campaigns including development of the relevant publicity materials;
- Social media knowledge and skills, and ability to manage website content;
- Knowledge and experience in the use of data and analytics to evaluate communications performance
- Excellent editing and skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (fluency in French would be a valuable asset).
- Demonstrated ability to leverage communication and marketing as critical instruments for achieving organization goals;
- Ability to plan and execute a work program effectively and efficiently;
- Strong mentoring abilities for working with other staff
- The Candidate should have the following personality traits: outgoing and confident; speaks persuasively; strong team work and interpersonal skills with ability to relate effectively to people at all levels; organized and able to meet tight deadlines; persistent, objective and innovative
FARA offers competitive salary and benefits in accordance with position and scale.
The position is based at the FARA secretariat in Accra, Ghana
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a cover letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana. Email: email@example.com. Applications will be assessed against the required skills, experience and aptitudes set out above. Applications will be accepted up to 15th November 2018
Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
NB: Please quote in your application the reference code of the vacancy for which you are applying.
You may download a Pdf copy at Vacancy Announcement – Communication Specialist 2018
14th Nov, 2018
JOINT Press Release: Accra, Ghana, November 14, 2018
FARA, NIRSAL, Jigawa State and ARDP flag-off a south-south capacity development initiative in Kaduna, Nigeria
6th Aug, 2018Kaduna, 3rd August 2018: