FARA is the apex organization for agricultural research for development in Africa. The FARA Secretariat is the lead institution for Pillar IV of NEPAD’s Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) which encompasses agricultural research and technology dissemination and adoption. FARA works closely with sub-regional organizations (SROs) and national agricultural research and extension systems to ensure effective implementation of CAADP activities.
FARA is seeking to recruit a highly qualified professional to fill the position of Lead Specialist (Monitoring and Evaluation)
Reporting to the Director, Research and Innovation, the successful candidate shall inter-alia perform the following roles and responsibilities:
- Conceptualizes, develops guidelines, and assesses the outcomes and impacts of FARA interventions and broad investments in AR4D.
- Develops high level monitoring tools and reporting framework for Board level reporting to the STC, MDTF, etc. on progress towards achieving the S3A goals;
- Facilitates organizational lessons learning and M&E capacity strengthening of partners and actors in the African agricultural innovation system.
- Advances and strengthens M&E practices.
- Develops and updates the FARA corporate results/performance monitoring framework of various programs and projects using the select indicators for tracking per the RFs, procedure manuals and tools.
- Assists the SROs develop indicators for programs and projects they implement with the national level agencies and institutions per their annual plans;
- Serves as liaison between the FARA Secretariat and M&E counterparts in partner organizations to assure coherence of data collection and reporting requirements, in particular the data and M&E systems and mutual accountability framework for tracking and evaluating compliance and progress with the CAADP, the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa (S3A) and the MTOP.
- As a member of the Research and Innovation Team, identifies and builds strategic partnerships, including collaboration with knowledge networks, communities of practice, SROs and relevant development partners, for purposes of knowledge generation and sharing, joint advocacy and advancement of M&E practices and resource mobilization.
- Receives and synthesizes data and information generated by the technical units and implementing partners, prepares scheduled M&E reports and technical synthesis papers on FARA’s performance, and document lessons learnt to generate evidence to support performance efficiency, policy and management decision-making
- Facilitates evidence-based discussions on progress being made against strategic milestones and is responsible for the collation and analysis of Lead Specialist Discussion platform to provide guidance and derive lessons aimed at improving annual work plan implementation for consideration and adoption by Management
- Strengthens internal M&E capacity of the Secretariat, including developing and installing automated data capture and reporting tools.
- Support improvements in the capacity and competence of M&E units of the SROs and other pertinent Continental Agencies in line with Joint Annual Plans agreed
- On invitation by SROs and their agencies a agreed in the annual plans, focusing on knowledge and skills development to enhance the ability of program and support units and partners to monitor and evaluate the key areas of intervention.
- Contributes to the development of the FARA strategic and operational plans and assists in the gathering of relevant intelligence to support FARA’s strategic positioning.
- Develops outcome and impact evaluation plans, facilitates internal and external reviews and evaluations of FARA programmes and projects, and documents and disseminates information on the outcomes and impact of FARA interventions on target beneficiaries.
- Assists management to select, contract, monitor, guide and assess externally contracted M&E teams, and to commission, facilitate and supervise impact assessment studies and organizational lessons learning initiatives.
- Works with Programme staff to design and implement tools for tracking performance of resource mobilization
- Works with programme staff, grantees and other external partners to facilitate the flow of information, evaluations and learning for increased impact.
- Represents FARA’s interests at relevant M&E continental and international events and meetings.
- Any other pertinent duties assigned by Management
A PhD in Agriculture, Economics or related quantitative field, deep knowledge of agricultural development in Africa. Demonstrated quantitative and qualitative analytic skills. Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation systems and procedures; Familiarity with Donor partners monitoring and evaluation systems. Deep knowledge of agricultural development in Africa and the world. Ability to conduct or manage multi-method programme and strategy evaluations; Ability to coordinate team work and strong people management skills. Strong strategic thinking and influencing skills; good human relations, diplomatic, proactive and Assertive
FARA offers competitive salary and benefits in accordance with position and scale.
The position is based at the FARA secretariat in Accra, Ghana
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a cover letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo, Executive Director, FARA, PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be assessed against the required skills, experience and aptitudes set out above. Applications will be accepted up to 9th February 2018
Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
FARA Affirmative Action Statement on Employment: there is no discrimination on the basis of gender race, religion, ethnic orientation, disability or health status.
NB: Please quote in your application the reference code of the vacancy for which you are applying.
You may download the pdf copy of the advert HERE
FARA Engages ECOWAS on Holistic Empowerment for Livelihoods Program(HELP) and The Agricultural Research Innovation Fellowship for Africa (ARIFA)
14th Jun, 2019One the margins of the 15th CAADP PP meeting in Nairobi Kenya, the Forum for Agricultural Research in AFRICA (FARA), led by
13th Jun, 2019The Lead Specialist, Monitoring and Evaluation at FARA, Anselme Vodounhessi was part of a team that engaged